“All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ” (Ephesians 1:3, NLT).
Paul is painting a picture of how God sees us: His precious adopted children who are “without fault” in God’s eyes. In these fourteen verses Paul proclaims the many “spiritual blessings” that are already ours.
- v.4 God loved us and chose us in Christ.
- v.5 God adopted us into his own family.
- v.6 God “poured out on us” glorious grace.
- v.7 He purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son.
- v.7 He forgave our sins.
- v.8 He has showered us with kindness wisdom, and understanding.
- v.9 God has now revealed to us his mysterious plan.
- v.11 We are united with Christ.
- v.11 We have received an inheritance from God.
- v.13 He identified you as his own.
- v.14 He gives us the Holy Spirit as a guarantee of his promise.
These are not goals that I need to strive for; these are blessings that are already mine. God wants me to own my identity as his child who has his approval and has a guaranteed inheritance of complete forgiveness, the presence of his Holy Spirit, and life everlasting. To see myself as other than loved, chosen, blessed, and faultless is to deny the heritage that the blood of his Son purchased for me.
Father, rid me of false images of myself. Fill me with awareness of your pleasure in making me your child. Grant me your grace to live joyfully as your child. Thank you for the blessings of kindness, wisdom, and understanding that you have showered on me. May the family of which you have been pleased to make me a part be united in your Son. In whose name I pray, Amen.
Please share your S.O.A.P. insights by commenting below.